Matthiessen State Park is located in central LaSalle County, approximately 4 miles south of Utica and 3 miles east of Oglesby.
I took the images on this page on the last possible day this year. A big snowstorm hit the area the next day, and all the leaves blew off in the accompanying windstorm.
Feature Image Details
This image is a composite. I used a Canon 24-105MM F4 L Lens at 32 mm for 30 seconds at F16 at ISO 100 for one exposure. That’s what produced the nice swirls.
But trees will not stay still for 30 seconds.
The second image I shot at ISO 2500. The light was dim so it still took 1.6 seconds. I took a bunch of images at that setting and the wind was calm for one of them.
Here is a vertical image where I used similar techniques.
- Waterfalls almost always photograph better on cloudy day.
- Spray is very much an issue on these kinds of shots. Water drops ruined many shots.
- Be sure to wipe off the front of your lens or filter between every shot.
- A polarizer reduces glare and increases exposure times to make for smoother-looking water. I nearly always use a filter when photographing waterfalls.
- The standard advice is to use polarizers to deepen a blue sky, but I almost never use them that way. Instead, I routinely use them to saturate colors and remove glare on cloudy days.
Starved Rock State Park is close by. Matthiessen State Park is actually a nice side attraction.
Both parks are in a bit of disrepair with closed trails and at least one rotted bridge making one of the waterfalls in Starved Rock inaccessible.
Illinois does not have the funds for park maintenance.
It’s a sad state of affairs but these parks are very much worth visiting.
Starved Rock State Park Articles
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Autumn in Kaskaskia Canyon
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Autumn in Ottawa Canyon – Council Overhang
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Autumn in Ottawa Canyon
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: La Salle Canyon Waterfall in Autumn
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Aurora Canyon in Autumn
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Illinois Canyon in Autumn Part 1
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Illinois Canyon Autumn Reflections
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Illinois Canyon Autumn Reflections II
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Illinois Canyon Autumn Starburst
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Ottawa Canyon Autumn – Focus Bracketing
Those interested in my equipment and recommendations can find it here: Mish’s Equipment List.
Please Subscribe: Click to Subscribe by Email.
If you like this article, please share by email or use one of the share buttons beneath the article.
You can also follow me on Twitter! I have both an economic forum and a photography forum.
MishMoments is a subset of MishGEA. Those interested in photography only should follow MishMoments.
More Matthiessen State Park images coming up.
Please Subscribe and Follow.
Mike “Mish” Shedlock