This the last in a series of posts on Starved Rock State Park in Utica, Illinois. The park is about 2 hours away from Chicago.
Next up: Joshua Tree National Park where I went in early to mid-December to photograph a meteor shower and rock formations.
I took the feature image in last week of October of 2017.
Feature Image Details
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- Canon 11-24 F4.0 L lens at 13mm.
- F14 for 2.0 seconds at ISO 400
This is a High Dynamic Range (HDR) image. I blended two images, each taken with a different exposure, manually using tools first in Lightroom, then Photoshop.
I have had better luck doing many of these types of composites myself rather than using HDR merge in Lightroom or Photoshop.
I typically strive to use two images. The fewer images one needs the less problematic things are, especially when there is anything in the image that may move. In this case, I am talking about trees blowing in the wind. The rocks don’t move, and I did use only one exposure of the distant background.
If you visit the area, I highly recommend staying at the park lodge. The loge fills up way in advance in Autumn and may be full other times as well. Many other hotels are nearby.
Those interested in my equipment and recommendations can find it here: Mish’s Equipment List.
If you like this article, please share by email or use one of the share buttons beneath the article.
Much more coming: Click to Subscribe by Email.
Starved Rock State Park Articles
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Autumn in Kaskaskia Canyon
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Autumn in Ottawa Canyon – Council Overhang
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Autumn in Ottawa Canyon
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: La Salle Canyon Waterfall in Autumn
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Aurora Canyon in Autumn
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Illinois Canyon in Autumn Part 1
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Illinois Canyon Autumn Reflections
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Illinois Canyon Autumn Reflections II
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Illinois Canyon Autumn Starburst
- Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Ottawa Canyon Autumn – Focus Bracketing
Next Up: Joshua Tree National Park meteor shower and other things.
Mike “Mish” Shedlock
2 thoughts on “Starved Rock State Park, Illinois: Council Overhang – HDR Merge”
That last picture, the one with the arched cave, from inside the cave, had to depict a place of shelter. Perhaps we could all learn from the floor of the cave.